Do you need a new Gas Boiler?
If you need to replace your boiler you are in the right place
A Detailed Guide to the Different Types of Gas Boilers
In this guide we discuss the different types of gas boilers available for supply in Dublin and surrounding counties. All new boilers are supplied by Ramor Renewables, a well established Cavan plumbing and heating company.
During cold winters, the central heating system helps in dealing with the freezing temperatures. If you have an outdated system that needs a boiler replacement, a gas boiler is an environmentally friendly choice for heating because gas is the cleanest fossil fuel when compared to coal and oil.
There are different kinds of gas boilers with distinct features and you can choose one according to your requirements.
These boilers which are also called heat-only and regular boilers are bulky and are commonly found in older homes. Conventional boilers contain the following components
- User Controls
- Hot Water Cylinder
- Cold Water Cistern
- Feed and Storage Cistern
The two tanks of the conventional boilers are installed in the loft and therefore can be found only in large houses. Cold water is drawn from the mains supply and the water is heated by cast-iron heat exchangers. The heated water is stored in the hot water cylinder until use.
Here are the pros and cons of conventional boilers
- Conventional boilers are great for a boiler replacement in houses with older heating systems because the existing pipework can be used for installation.
- In case of boiler failure, a backup water heater can be used in the hot water cylinder. This can supply you with hot water until you repair the boiler.
- Multiple taps can be used simultaneously because the hot water is drawn from the storage tank.
- Decent water pressure is enough for conventional boilers.
- Heat loss is a major disadvantage because water stored in the hot water cylinder will lose heat with time. An insulated tank can help in reducing heat loss.
- The two tanks and cisterns take up a lot of space and therefore regular boilers cannot be considered for smaller homes.
- Conventional boilers are more difficult and expensive to install than other boilers. It can also take longer to install these boilers.
- Heating water once the water from the hot water cylinder is used up takes time. Therefore, you may have to wait until the boiler heats the entire tank of water again.
System boilers are like conventional boilers because they too have a hot water storage cylinder. However, they do not have a cold water storage tank. Expansion vessel, pressure valve, and other components are built into the boiler and therefore they occupy less space. System boilers are also easier to maintain because there is no need for header tanks.
- Easier and less expensive to install than conventional boilers because of the built-in components
- Multiple taps can be used at once without noticeable drops in water pressure or temperature
- Since system boilers do not need cold water storage tanks, they are good boiler replacements for smaller homes without a huge loft space.
- Getting instant hot water is not possible with system boilers because the boiler heats the water again once the water in the hot water cylinder is exhausted.
- Although they do not take as much space as conventional boilers, system boilers still can take up space because they use hot water tanks.
- Heat loss is a problem with system boilers because the water is stored in the tank until use and the heat can be lost over time.
Combi boilers are the most cost-efficient boilers and are also compact because they do not have storage tanks. They are also generally energy-efficient and help lower your heating bills. A huge number of new boiler purchases are combi boilers because they are an excellent choice for small homes and apartments.
There is no heat loss in combi boilers because the heated water is not stored in a tank. These boilers heat the water directly from the mains and you can get an unlimited supply of hot water on demand.
- Since there are no tanks used, they do not occupy much space
- Combi boilers are energy efficient because water is heated only as per your needs
- Combi boilers are easier, quicker, and cheaper to install
- You can get instant hot water which is a combi boiler because you don’t have to wait for the water in a tank to heat up
- Combi boilers can be easily maintained because minimal pipework is required
- There is a lower risk of pipework freezing with combi boilers
- Combi boilers might not be able to meet the high demand for hot water and are unsuitable for large homes
- Combi boilers might not compatible with all kinds of showers
- Without good water pressure, opening multiple taps can result in a pressure drop
- A backup immersion heater cannot be used with combi boilers. Therefore, you cannot get hot water until you get a boiler repair done
The size of your home, the number of bathrooms, and the number of individuals in your home are some of the factors that determine your choice of new boiler. Compare the energy ratings of the different boilers to choose a cost-effective one that fits your budget.
If you are looking to replace your boiler we can help. Message us for a quick quote. Replace Boiler is run by Ramor Renewables we are servicing new boilers in Dublin for over 20 years. Based in Cavan we can supply you with a new boiler in Cavan. Or indeed we can replace your boiler in Dublin, Meath, Louth and surrounding areas.
For all your new boiler needs contact us today for a quick quote. Replace your boiler before the Winter comes in and it becomes an emergency